Jan. 10, 2018
I am thrilled to welcome you to the website of the Organization of Women in International Trade (OWIT) and encourage you to join us and volunteer. Below is background information about OWIT and our mission, OWIT chapters around the globe, information on how to join us and volunteer opportunities, a helpful guide to using our website, and a little bit about me!
OWIT was established in 1989 and is a global association for women in international trade and business. Our 2,000-plus members impact hundreds of millions of dollars in trade and business transactions annually. OWIT’s focus is on adding value to our corporate, mid-sized, small business and individual members around the world. OWIT serves as the unifying body of a network of chapters spanning the globe in the Americas, Western Europe, and Africa. OWIT also supports a “Virtual Chapter” for individuals involved in international trade and business who do not have access to a local OWIT chapter where they reside or work. Membership in a local or the Virtual Chapter gives automatic access to the OWIT International network.
The primary mission of OWIT is to support the advancement of women in international trade and business. To successfully accomplish this mission, we welcome men (that support the advancement of women in international trade) and women from around the world. We facilitate relationship-building through our growing network of members, provide educational and professional development programs, and partner with organizations that share our mission. Please explore this website, where you can learn our story, our program offerings, and we encourage you to join us and volunteer!
Did you know we have OWIT chapters in:
- Puerto Rico
- New York City
- South Florida
- Greater Triangle NC
- Northeast Ohio
- Tampa Bay
- Northern California
- Lake Geneva
- Orange County
- Los Angeles
- Washington DC
- Mexico City
How to Join OWIT
You can become a member of OWIT by joining an existing local chapter, our virtual chapter, or by starting your own chapter. To learn more, please explore the “join us” tab on the website.
Volunteer with OWIT
OWIT International needs you! We have 9 amazing committees that seek volunteers. If you are interested (or want help deciding which is the right committee for you), please contact OWIT President, Jennifer Diaz at firstname.lastname@example.org or the committee chairs directly below.
- Chapter Development: Are you interested in helping grow the OWIT network around the world? If so, this is the committee for you, contact Chairperson@owitnairobi.org to assist!
- Chapter Support: Are you interested in helping OWIT chapters learn the benefits of the OWIT network? If so, this is the committee for you, contact VP-ChapterSupport@owit.org to assist!
- Conference: Are you interested in helping with OWIT's conference to ensure it is a success, with amazing speakers from all over the world, and all members of OWIT around the world attend? If so, this is the committee for you, contact email@example.com to assist!
- Marketing: Are you interested in helping with OWIT's newsletters and press releases? If so, this is the committee for you, contact VP-Marketing@owit.org to assist!
- Partnership: Are you interested in working with OWIT's premier partners to increase the profile of OWIT around the world? If so, this is the committee for you, contact VP-Partnerships@owit.org to assist!
- Programming: Are you interested in helping with OWIT's webinars? If so, this is the committee for you, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to assist!
- Social Media: Are you interested in helping with keeping OWIT's social media active and up to date? If so, this is the committee for you, contact email@example.com to assist!
- Sponsorship: Are you interested in helping raise funds for this much-deserved organization via our small business sponsorship, corporate sponsorship, webinar sponsorship, and conference sponsorship? If so, this is the committee for you, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to assist!
- Virtual: Are you interested in helping ensure OWIT's virtual members who don't have a chapter near them feel included within the OWIT network? If so, this is the committee for you, contact email@example.com to assist!
Using the OWIT Website
- Under the “Join Us” tab, you can see our video testimonials, locations of all of our chapters around the globe, and become a virtual member.
- Under the “Programs” tab, you can access our webinar calendar and information about our annual conference! OWIT offers webinars covering timely and informative topics on international business and trade.
- Under the “News” tab, you can access our press releases and Newsletters (in both English and Spanish)!
- Under the “Resources” tab, the OWIT Pro section provides a useful tool to tap into our membership database to find speakers, consultants, and advisors on international business and trade. Once you join us you can showcase your own expertise!
- Under the “Support” tab, you can learn how your organization can support OWIT by being a sponsor and/or Partner.
- Under the “Login” tab, our members have access to our MEMBER DIRECTORY that also connects to LinkedIn. Once you join us you can create your own profile, enjoy use of our job bank, and connect with our members around the globe.
About OWIT's President
I was born and raised in South Florida, and graduated from law school in 2006. Right out of law school, I was looking for an organization to join and became immediately glued to OWIT. OWIT was an incredibly welcoming organization, with women who were involved in international trade or business. At my first OWIT-South Florida event, I spoke with the current President and asked to get involved. I then found myself on the board of directors! A few years later, from 2010-2011, I was President of OWIT-South Florida. Thereafter, I was the OWIT-South Florida chapter representative to OWIT International. OWIT International has 2 events a year where you physically get to meet our 22+ chapter representatives in person. This helped solidify my commitment to the organization as I loved meeting likeminded women (and men) from all over the globe while both increasing my own network and bringing back valuable information to my chapter, traveling, and developing through OWIT educational initiatives.
Many years later, I am still involved in OWIT! Professionally, I am a customs and international trade attorney. I worked for a large firm for 10 years and started my own law firm in 2016. As a small business owner, and small business sponsor of OWIT, OWIT has helped me professionally, as well as my business. Whatever your personal goal or role in the field of international business and trade, we invite you to join us, volunteer, sponsor OWIT, and contribute to achieving our mission of being United around the globe to foster international trade and the advancement of women in business!